Auto Liability Coverage
What is liability coverage and why do I need it?
Liability coverage for your auto protects you financially in the event of a lawsuit where you have been found at fault for injuring a person(s), damaging someone’s property, or both. Choosing the correct amount of liability coverage is in part based on what you would have to lose in the event of a lawsuit. Common coverage limits are $100,000 per person injured/$300,000 total accident injury/$100,000 property damage. Another common Coverage limit is $250,000 per person injured/$500,000 total accident injury/$250,000 property damage. While these 2 are common you can get limits as high as $1,000,000 per person injured/$1,000,000 per accident/$1,000,000 property damage. This is the type of coverage that is mandated by the state for any motorist on the road. Our agents are here to help determine what level of coverage is best for you at a cost you can afford.
What is uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage and why do I need it?
Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage is there to protect you if you or your passengers are injured in an accident by someone elses fault and they do not have insurnace or is under insured for the damages you have received. This could happen by a driver who leaves the scene of the accident and is never discovered. If this happens to you your insurance will still pay for your damages if this coverage is elected. The Coverage here follows the same patten as your liablilty coverage ie… $100,000/$300,000 or $250,000/$500,000. The state does not do a good job of keeping tabs on uninsured and allow underinsured drivers with state minimum liability limits (well below the average medical bills for an accident) it is highly recommended to carry this coverage at all times!! Even if you are hit by an insured driver there is no guarantee that they have enough insurance coverage to pay your medical bills.
What is collision coverage and how does it help me?
Collision coverage is an elected coverage on an auto policy. The purpose for this coverage is to provide protection in the event you are responsible for damaging your vehicle while operating it. There are no state requirements for collision coverage on your vehicle, however, if you have a loan on your vehicle the lien holder may require this coverage. Collison coverage will provide financial backing to repair damages to your vehicle minus the deductible. Common deductibles associated with this coverage type are $250, $500, or $1000. Deductibles can be as low as $0 and as high as $5000. The purpose of the deductible is for the driver to have some skin in the game as an incentive to drive safe and not cause accidents. Deductibles are a form of risk appetite. How much skin you want in the game is up to you. A qualified insurance agent can help you make that decision based on your situation and budget.
What is comprehensive coverage and how does it help me?
Comprehensive coverage is an elected coverage on an auto policy. The purpose for this coverage is to provide protection in the event something you can’t controll is responsible for damaging your vehicle. Examples of this would be hail damage, hitting an animal, or a tree falling on your car during a wind storm There are no state requirements for comprehensive coverage on your vehicle, however, if you have a loan on your vehicle the lien holder may require this coverage. Comprehensive coverage will provide financial backing to repair damages to your vehicle minus the deductible. Common deductibles associated with this coverage type are $250, $500, or $1000. Deductibles can be as low as $0 and as high as $5000. The purpose of the deductible is for the auto owner to have some skin in the game as an incentive to protect their vehicle whenever possible. Deductibles are a form of risk appetite. How much skin you want in the game is up to you. A qualified insurance agent can help you make that decision based on your situation and budget.
Other Auto Coverages
What other coverages are available and do I really need them?
Our agents work with you to determine which coverages you need and which ones you don’t based on your driving habits, type of car, lifestyle, and budget.
- Road side Service: if you travel often or are not able to physically change a flat tire road side service coverage is something you need. Often costing less than $10 per year this coverage can help you out of a pickle.
- Transportation expenses: This coverage is there in the event your car is damaged in an accident. You will have to rent a car till yours is fixed and this coverage will pay for the rental while yours is in the shop.
- New auto security: If you buy a brand new car from dealer and it becomes totaled within the first 24 months of ownership you can receive a new year of the same or similar model vehicle.
- Better vehicle replacement: if you have a previously owned vehicle and elect to have this coverage and it becomes totaled you will get credit for a same year and model with 15% fewer miles than the current mileage of the totaled vehicle.
- Med Pay: Med pay is a coverage which can help pay bills, ambulance rides, and death benifits regarless of who is at fault for an accident. The limits are generally low ranging between $1000-$50,000 but can be as high as $100,000.
- Auto plus bundle: This is the bundle that packs the most punch at only $30 per year you get diminishing deductibles which will reduce your deductible over time to $0. There is an additional 10 days transportation expense added to the basic limit if your car is totaled and can’t be repaired. There is a $10,000 death benifit if a covered person dies resulting from a covered accident. And there is increased limits for emergency travel costs, personal effects, sound equipment, and trailers!!
**If you have a classic car you need to add special declarations to an regular policy to cover it properly. Some regular auto insurance companies do a great job of this while others don’t. We have multiple options and will come up with the right combination for your car and budget.
What about discounts??? Surly there is a way we can save some money here right!?!?! There are a host of discounts, you can get with an auto policy. There are 17 total discounts do be exact. Our agents are experts at gettting you each and every one that you are eligible for!